Thursday, May 30, 2013

Week 1: The Draft: Limo 5 Prospect Report

Because I aim to be nothing but helpful (it's true. Everywhere I go, people follow me and say. "See that girl? Boy is she helpful!"....at least that's what I've always assumed the word "mean" means), and because I don't want to kick off this season with yet another diatribe about Desiree, I'm going to start this round of the league by handicapping the prospects for this weekend's draft using a complicated statistic that I've developed based equally on my mathematical acumen (I test at roughly a 7th grade level) and my pension for complete BS.

Below, I give you the Staying Power (SP) rating for each of the men based on their performance in episode 1. I would definitely use this metric to guide your draft (or almost anything else).  For more detail on the hours of careful thought (read: metro ride) that went into Staying Power (SP = a*P(E+B) - L, see my earlier post.

BriDan - SP: 121


Attraction (a): 5

Featured Scene Percentage (P): 5

Awkwardness of Entrance (E): 0

Background (B): 5
  There's a lot of theories going around about Brian and Dan (mostly, just in my brain). It's possible that they are twins separated at birth which will be revealed when Brian huffily insists that Dan explains why he has a photo of Brian's mother. We could be witnessing the climax of a blood oath/Face Off-gone wrong kind of a situation where Dan reveals he never quite got around to that face-swapping plastic surgery he had agreed to with Brian (even though they clearly said no takesy-backsies). Maybe it's just one guy wearing two different colored ties and as the season wears on he'll have to employ more elaborate disguises, flamboyant facial hair styling, and funny hats to maintain his multi-persona facade. Maybe the poor guys just didn't get enough screen time.  Whatever the reasons, I can't personally tell the difference between Brian and Dan, so I've just decided to make things easier on us all (well, really just me) by combining them into one generic guy named BriDan. And yes, I realized by merging their names, I've created another guy named Bryden with just a slightly different spelling, but, hey, it's The Bachelor. So it just felt right.

Likelihood of Having a Girlfriend Back Home (L): 4
 Double the chiseled jaw means double the odds!

Micah - SP: -2

Attraction (a): 1
  But to be fair to Micah, this might have been the jacket. He's got to learn to dress for his body type.

Featured Scene Percentage (P): 0

Awkwardness of Entrance (E): 1
  So, I actually thought this went well for Micah when I first saw his entrance. The jacket idea was cute, and, if his design was somewhat lacking, I actually thought his sewing skills were pretty on point. Desiree seemed amused and when she said, "I'll have to do the sewing," I thought she meant for his wedding cummerbund or for their babies' onesies or for the superman costume that they would force upon their adopted rescue dog named Polo. Between Micah and Nick, the tailors of the night did not fare well.  Desiree probably just got her fill of competition on The Bachelor.

Background (B): 0

Likelihood of Having a Girlfriend Back Home (L): 2

Nick R. - SP: 28

Attraction (a): 6
  He earned himself a first impression rose, so he must have been doing something right.

Featured Scene Percentage (P): 1

Awkwardness of Entrance (E): 5
  Too bad his poem rhymed
  I would prefer a haiku
  Or the non-poem route.

Background (B): 0

Likelihood of Having a Girlfriend Back Home (L): 2

Ben - SP:

Attraction (a): 10
  First of all, thank goodness Ben was around to save this boring, boring draft limo. You could tell that Des was into him by the weak "I also went to camp" that she offered as evidence of their similarities. Also, as an only slightly related aside, I love how after Ben got the first first impression rose, there were handshakes all around. It was so gentlemanly - almost as if he had played a particularly ripping hand of whist.

Featured Scene Percentage (P): 9
  I do think this number is probably unfairly inflated by controversy, but I imagine he'll put up big points while he lasts.

Awkwardness of Entrance (E): 0
  There's probably ample room here to berate Ben for shamefully exploiting his kid, but his justification of the choice was actually pretty charming and little Brody played it perfectly with a mixture of bashful and playfully cute.

Background (B): 5
  And maybe someday that "background" will grow up to betray a woman on national TV too!

Likelihood of Having a Girlfriend Back Home (L): 200
  Even if the "Coming Up" scenes are the product of clever editing and have just been slanted to make us think the woman who shows up in there for Ben, the man told us that the mother of his kid is his best friend. That should maybe be cause for a red flag.  I'm guessing China has a giant one leftover from the 2008 Olympics that should just about do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment